Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rum Raisin Cheesecake Ice Cream



Another post on ice cream. But does anyone ever truly get tired of ice cream?

This is a perfect recipe. It really, really tastes like cheesecake, and the rum-soaked raisins are yum-tastic. I definitely could have doubled the raisins and been very happy. It firmed up nicely and worked well as a sugar-free concoction--my friends were amazed at the flavor. So was I--in fact, I think I'll go get some now. For breakfast.


Rum Raisin Cheesecake Ice Cream
makes 1 quart


1/2 cup raisins

1/4 cup dark rum

1/4 teaspoon dark rum

1 8-ounce package cream cheese (I used fat-free) at room temperature

1 cup sugar (I used sugar substitute)

1-1/2 cups sour cream (I used low fat)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon lemon juice


Combine raisins and 1/4 cup rum in a small saucepan with a lid; set over medium heat to simmer until almost all of the rum has been absorbed. Set aside to cool to room temperature, then transfer to a container, top with 1/4 tsp rum, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to get cold.


While the raisins are chilling in the fridge, combine cream cheese and sugar and blend well. Add sour cream, vanilla and lemon juice and mix to thoroughly incorporate. Cover mixture and refrigerate.
When cold, transfer cream cheese mixture to your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions, adding or folding in raisins last.

For my model, I ran it for 25 minutes, and then with the raisins for 5 more minutes.
Enjoy ice cream immediately or pack in a container with a lid and freeze.

If you don't have an ice cream maker, there's no reason to not enjoy homemade ice cream! Try the method described in
this post.

10 comments:

Sophie said...

This sounds so good, I love the warm flavors in a cool dessert!

Kathy said...

That sounds fantastic! I just saw a recipe this weekend for a cinnamon rum ice cream and thought of you...I love those sorts of ice cream flavors.

Amanda said...

Hi, Sophie! It was, it was... soooo good. Must. Have. More...

Kathy, my friend! Cinnamon rum ice cream? You MUST email me the recipe or point me to the link. YUM!

Sara said...

I NEVER get tired of ice cream posts! This sounds like an amazing flavor combination.

Amanda said...

Thanks, Sara! (Me neither... always love a good ice cream post!)

Sam said...

Rum and raisin was always my favourite flavour, I love this!

Amanda said...

Sam, you're a man of excellent taste! Rum raisin is one of my (many) favorites, too.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Rum Raisin Ice Cream is one of my all-time favorites, and you are adding cheesecake to it??!!! We must have gone to heaven already!

RE: Your comment on the chocolate roundup, don't think of it so much as a deadline, but rather a first day! Feel free to add your recipes even after today. I'll still add you to the roundup. You'll still get all the Google search traffic. The Google spiders LOVE my blog!! And people will click to your links too.

AND ... you'll want to add this recipe to my 2nd annual We All Scream For Ice Cream Roundup in July. It was a blast last year. Loved your Coconut Milk Ice Cream entry to my first roundup! :-)

grace said...

i don't know about everyone else, but i'll never tire of ice cream, not even in the dead of winter. this is a unique flavor, and i'm certain it's fantastic. and when you find this cinnamon-ized version, make and post about it immediately!

Amanda said...

@Joy--

Thanks for reminding me that I still have time to put something chocolatey in your roundup. I keep meaning to start a batch of chocolate ice cream, but I'm still searching for just the right one!

Do try the rum-raisin cheesecake ice cream, too--do you have a post already on your 09 ice cream call for posts?

@Grace--

I'm with you! Though I have to admit that in my younger years (thru mid-20s, really) I generally avoided ice cream until summer. I don't know why--perhaps this horried CNY weather! It was while I lived in Key West that I became a fan of ice cream year 'round.

I have the cinnamon ice cream recipe--I'll email you the link.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs