Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Baked Apples

Here in Central New York our summer was cut short. The rain and drizzle began in early August; September has brought cooler nights and afternoon highs in the 60s and 70s (*F).

Although I feel a bit cheated and not quite done with summer, I'm trying to make the best of it while embracing all things autumn.

That means apples.



I bought two big apples and, since yesterday was cool and rainy, I decided to bake them for a satisfying dessert. Because they were so big, I cut them in half; adding oatmeal to the filling really gave it extra substance, fiber and chewiness.



The last remaining half-apple was a yummy breakfast this morning drizzled with a little milk--yum!


Baked Apples
serves 4

2 large cored apples and cut in half, or 4 small cored apples
1/3 cup brown sugar (I used brown sugar substitute)
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup raisins
pinch salt
few scrapes fresh nutmeg

Place each apple (or half apple) on a foil square. Combine remaining ingredients and divide among the apples. Close foil around apples and bake in a preheated 350*F oven for 45-60 minutes, or until soft.

Serve hot, with whipped cream, ice cream, or a drizzle of milk.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I love baked apples! That's brilliant to add oatmeal and eat the leftovers for breakfat!

Amanda said...

Thanks, Mary. This one's going in the rotation here!

Sam said...

I haven't done baked apples for years! thanks for the reminder. We used to stuff ours with mincemeat (I don't know if you have that in the US) they are delicious.

Amanda said...

Mincemeat, huh? Sam, that sounds delicious--I'll have to look into that. We do occasionally see a mincemeat pie here in the US, and I do find mincemeat at the grocery store, but I don't know what's in it.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs