Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What's Up, Chuck?

A friend of mine often makes steaks when I visit. Always melt-in-your-mouth tender, I often thought how expensive it must be to serve steak so frequently to guests. I finally asked her what kind of steak she was serving, because none I've ever made is quite so good.

"It's called chuck eye steak," she replied.

After a little research, I discovered this about chuck eye:

- the chuck eye joins the rib-eye, so is a closely related cousin;

- it's boneless, with a good bit of fat to make sure it stays soft during cooking;

- other names for chuck eye include mock tender steak, chuck filet steak, beauty steak, chuck tender steak, scotch tender steak and fish steak;

- according to this article, the first three inches of the chuck eye (where it joins the rib-eye) may have been the original delmonico steak;

- at around $3.99 per pound (in a family pack) or $4.99 per pound for smaller packages, this is a great alternative to more expensive cuts of meat.


At any rate, this particular steak cut has got to be my absolute favorite. It's tender, it's delicious, and contrary to most articles, which suggest this cut should be marinated and grilled or broiled for best flavor, I find that it's perfect when pan-fried--providing you don't overcook it.

Doesn't that look good? Except for the hideous orange plastic plate I put it on, that is.


Ask your butcher for one or two chuck eye steaks to try. You won't regret it.


Mrs.W’s Pan-Fried Chuck-Eye Steak with Onions, Red Peppers and Mushrooms
Serves 2

Olive oil
1 medium onion, cut up in slices or chunks
1 medium red bell pepper (capasicum), chopped
4 ounces white button mushrooms, cleaned – mine were small so I left them whole
3 tablespoons salted butter
2 chuck-eye steaks
Salt and pepper to taste

In a hot skillet, saute onion, bell pepper and mushrooms in olive oil over a medium flame until desired doneness. I like mine really quite squishy, so it took me about 15-20 minutes. Remove to a bowl and melt butter in skillet.
Season steaks with salt and pepper; fry in hot skillet for about 2 minutes on the first side. Flip and return vegetables to skillet for another 2-5 minutes (2 minutes will give you a steak done to about medium, 5 minutes will be closer to well done).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that I prefer the scotch steak. You can kill two birds with one stone that way. :-P

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs