Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Huevos Rancheros

If you're like me, trying to make your food budget stretch (or perhaps even scream), you might be getting sick of having eggs this, tuna that. Y'all know what I'm talking about!

I recently watched an Ask Aida segment that featured these little babies, and I have to say they're really good. Well, my version is. I don't know about hers. I just took the idea and ran with it.

Here is the lineup.



First, I caramelized the onions. This is because I detest raw onions--you could simply add the onions to your salsa. But I wanted them cooked for that extra layer of yumminess. So they went into the frypan with a a wee bit of canola oil until they turned brown. I did sprinkle in a little chili powder for added flavor.

While the onions were cooking I chopped my plum tomato (I don't bother seeding) and tossed in some chopped cilantro, a pinch of salt, a splash each of lime juice and white vinegar and about 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce. (Actually it was a leftover taco bell packet.)

The cooked onions came out and were kept warm while I wiped out the pan to use again. I warmed two corn tortillas in the newly dry skillet and plated; added the cooked onions while I fried an egg in a little olive oil.

I like eggs cooked over medium for a cooked white and runny yolk. But this particular egg didn't cooperate--it broke in the pan just as I flipped it. But as my g'ma says, "It all eats the same." The yolk was still running and the white was cooked, so I plopped atop my onions and dressed the whole thing with my salsa.



Surprisingly delicious--so much so that I made it another day for Mr.W's supper. Even he pronounced it good!

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs