Monday, June 9, 2008

The Veal Conundrum

I tried veal today for the first time. I didn't like it.

There was something... something about its essence. Something in the background. Not a gaminess, no. But similar to that.

It was a three-quarter pound veal chop that I sauteed in yummy bacon grease along with some onions, mushrooms and potatoes and finished by braising everything in about a cup of red wine for a lovely sauce.

I selected this cooking method based on a number of recipies I found on epicurious.com, all to rave reviews. And there wasn't anything about the ingredients that I don't like--except for the veal, which was the unknown factor.

It flavored everything. And it all went into the trash.

But it sure looked good.



See?

I guess I'm just not a veal person. What do you think? Should I have done something differently?

2 comments:

Mary said...

It looks good to me. I've never had a veal chop, only thin veal cutlets. And I really enjoyed them. But I think they were pounded pretty good.

Sorry, I'm no help at all.

Amanda said...

Thanks, Mary. I probably should have someone who has eaten veal before try it for reference. I'm hoping it's just me.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs