Friday, June 6, 2008

Berry Good

You all know by now that I'm a huge fan of berries--they're low on the glycemic index and just right for my dietary lifestyle. So I keep them around! A bag of frozen mixed berries is in my freezer always.

On a recent trip to the liquour store (I'm not really much of a drinker, but I do go there every once in a while for a little inspriation) I noticed a small bottle of Prosecco. Now I've seen FoodTV gals use Prosecco a number of times in bellinis, but I've never tried them myself. So I bought it, and it's been in my fridge just waiting for me to try it.

I figured today was as good a day as any to indulge in a wee bit of "Oh Be Joyful," as my grandmother would call it. (Yes, she refers to any alcoholic beverage as "Oh Be Joyful." I don't know why.)

First, I took about a cup of mixed frozen berries out of the freezer to thaw. When no longer frozen, I pureed them with my hand blender and poured it through a wire mesh strainer to remove the seeds. That took some doing, but it was totally worth it! Then I sweetened the remaining puree quite a bit--about 2-3 tablespoons of sugar substitute. Just go by taste--you want to make it quite sweet, because (at least in my case) the prosecco is bubbly but not very sweet. If you're a lover of sweet drinks, like me, then you'll want the puree to balance that dry wine taste. Then fill your glass about 1/3 full with the berry puree and top off with prosecco. Yum!



Perfect for porch-sitting on a Friday afternoon.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs