Friday, May 16, 2008

Bacon, Egg and Asparagus Sandwich

I have a confession to make. I bought a silly kitchen gadget.

My kitchen is tiny and certainly does not have a lot of counter space--or cupboard space for storing extra stuff. I have one entire cupboard door filled with a sandwich toaster I haven't used in probably 10 years, a contact grill I use once or twice a year, and a number of other appliances that I should really just get rid of. So I'm very much against buying extra gadgets.

Until I found the Paula Deen Egg-and-Muffin Toaster on sale for $15. It toasts bread, muffins or bagels while simultaneously poaching an egg to soft, medium or hard and warming precooked meat and/or veg.

We've been eating egg sandwiches daily--especially while I've been on a cooking hiatus. Even Mr.W made himself a sandwich yesterday.

Here's mine:



Doesn't it look yummy?

I used one slice of bacon (I had pre-cooked a whole 1-pound package and it's been in the fridge in a baggie for easy sandwich making. We only use one slice for a sandwich meat, so that's not too terribly bad.) and four yummy stalks of leftover asparagus, along with mild cheddar cheese and a poached egg cooked to medium on a multigrain muffin. I love biting into a sandwich with all that runny yolk! Asparagus in this little baby gave it a fresh twist that I just love!

Of course this can be made easily by anyone using regular kitchen equipment. An egg fried over easy or hard would suffice.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

DOH! How could I forget that a fried egg sandwich on a toasted english muffin (with a slice of bacon if we have some pre-cooked in the fridge for sandwiches, like you do), plus a dash of tabasco, is probably one of our biggest "I don't feel like cooking anything but still want a warm dinner" meals? Yours looks lovely. I may just make that for lunch today, in fact (but we have no asaparagus, so it will be plain).

Amanda said...

Oh, you must keep some asparagus on hand for just this purpose--it takes the sandwich to new heights!

Anonymous said...

wow that does sound really awesome good.

Anonymous said...

I've never even heard of aparagus on a sandwich. Is it pre-cooked or does it cook with the sandwich?

Amanda said...

Thanks, Marye!

Hi, Survival Gourmet. The asparagus I used was pre-roasted to crisp-tender that I had leftover from another meal.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

That sandwich is a real winner, Amanda. :-)

Amanda said...

Thanks, Joy. I'm thinking of having another one right now! Mmm...

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs