Monday, March 10, 2008

Man Food: Cheesy Chicken Burrito Soup

This soup was a bit of an accident--and what a happy surprise, for me and for the men I fed it to.


I was looking for some kind of chicken chili dish to serve to Mr.W's friends, but they dislike all things sour creamy... so this soup was created.

Chock full of healthy goodness, this soup is a crowd-pleaser! Even your South-Beach and Low-Carb buddies will be able to eat this one.

Cheesy Chicken Burrito Soup
serves 6 to 8

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 lb ground chicken or ground turkey
1 chopped onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder
4 cups or 2 cans beans (I used pintos)
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Fry chicken breast pieces in olive oil until browned; set aside. Brown ground chicken; set aside. Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker and set on low for four hours.

Add:

1 cup cooked rice or 1 cup rinsed quinoa (I used quinoa)
2 cups shredded cheddar, jack or favorite cheese
1-1/2 cups heavy cream mixed with 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
1/2 pound frozen corn niblets

Turn slow cooker to high for 2 hours. Serve hot.



This is my entry to the Monthly Mingle: One-Dish Dinners, hosted by Meeta of What's for Lunch Honey. Get lots of one-dish meal ideas at the roundup.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd take a bit of this man food any day. it looks great!

Amanda said...

Thanks, Meeta! I have an entire series of 'Man Food' that I've been doing... hearty, tummy-pleasing and often not-too-pretty food that I serve to my husband's hungry friends when they visit.

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds quite delicious to me!

Amanda said...

Thanks, Kalyn! It was pretty good!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs