Thursday, January 31, 2008

Chocolate Ricotta Mousse

Last week, Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy did a post on her 'Chocolate Silk' recipe. This is one of those desserts that can easily be made sugar-free, so of course I was intrigued.

Then I found ricotta on sale.

Needless to say, I made some--with my own variations, of course, and sugar-free to fit my dietary needs.

I knew it would be good. I just didn't know how good.

This is one of those desserts you'll make again and again and again. It's a snap to put together, so delicious and smooth, and a very impressive treat for family and guests alike.

Go ahead. You know you want some.

Chocolate Ricotta Mousse
serves 8-10
adapted from this recipe

1 32-ounce container ricotta cheese
4 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup sweetener of choice (I used whey low type d granular)
1/4 cup heavy cream, half-and-half or milk (I actually used hazelnut-flavor sugar-free coffee creamer)

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until thoroughly combined and smooth. I put everything in a bowl and used my stick blender. Either way, the finished concoction should be smooth, creamy and pretty stiff.

Note: the use of hazelnut creamer did not give a strong hazelnut flavor, and did add a bit more sweetness to the mixture.


Now here is where you can get creative. First, I brought this to a friend's house to share and served it simply dolloped into pretty pink bowls, topped with sugar-free whipped cream, a drizzle of sugar-free chocolate syrup and sprinkle of sliced almonds.



The next day, I had some in a glass and poured about a teaspoon of Grand Marnier over, added a dollop of whipped cream and a dusting of unsweetened cocoa powder. Now THAT is what I call a good dessert.



This is a wonderful, impressive dessert that calls out to the chocolate-lovers in us all. Plus it's so versatile, dressed down for the kiddies or drizzled with your favorite liqueur for a grand finish to a dinner party--either way, it's great.

Thanks, Susan!

4 comments:

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Mrs. W.- Fabulous! I love your variations too. I'm so glad you were able to adapt the recipe.

Thanks for the mention.

Mrs. W said...

My pleasure, Susan. Thanks again!

Lulu said...

I'm dying! The mousse looks unbelievable!

Mrs. W said...

Lulu, you MUST try this. Go. Go now. Go buy some ricotta and TRY THIS. It's so good, you'll snarf the whole batch.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs