Thursday, December 27, 2007

Leche Flan

When I lived in South Florida I learned how to make a number of Cuban-inspired dishes, such as Cuban-roast pork, black beans and yellow rice, arroz con pollo, picadillo, plantains in many ways, and the best of all: leche flan.

I remember the first time I tried it. I had started a new job as a clerk/typist and was being trained by the head secretary. One of the managers that worked there brought in a flan made by his mother. I actually didn't want to try it--it looked too egg custard-y. But he insisted.

Heaven.

I bothered the poor man for months; he finally relented and gave me his mother's recipe, and I've been making it myself for years. Now you can make it, too.


Mrs. Roberts' Key West Leche Flan

6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla or rum extract, or dark rum (optional)

Whisk together all ingredients. Pour through a wire mesh strainer into a greased pie plate. Place pie plate in a larger pan, then both into a preheated 350*F oven. Add hot water to large pan and close oven. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until set and firm to the touch. A knife inserted near the center should cut cleanly with no liquid seeping out.

Remove from oven; remove pie plate from water bath and cool completely. Invert onto a serving dish. May be garnished with whipped cream, fruit or fruit purees, shaved chocolate, or anything desired.

2 comments:

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Hi,

Just a short note to let you know I finally posted 7 Random Facts... meme...
http://www.coffeeandvanilla.com/?p=1295

Have a great day, Margot

Amanda said...

Yay! I love reading memes... thanks for playing!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs