Tuesday, September 25, 2007

British Food Fortnight: Quick Chicken Curry for Two


It is British Food Fortnight, a time when people worldwide celebrate the foods eaten and produced in Great Britain.

When I think of England, I think of the Queen, Wallis and Gromit, the tube, tea with scones and clotted cream, fish and chips, bangers and mash, and of course my many friends who are either living in the UK or have lived there in the past. I think of the day I spent in London's Heathrow airport in the luxurious Delta lounge gearing up for the long flight to Cape Town. But I digress.

So many cuisines have been introduced to England's culture that I would venture to say that their diet is as diversified as in the United States. There is one thing, however, that every Englishman that I know talks about.

A good curry.

So for British Food Fortnight, hosted by Fuss Free Flavours , I've created Quick Chicken Curry for Two. See the roundup here, even though FFF forgot my entry!

Of course Mr.W won't touch curry. So in my house it's really for one... but this recipe makes two servings.




Quick Chicken Curry for Two

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup chopped yellow onion
about 3 tablespoons finely sliced carrot (I used 4 “baby-cut” carrots)
1/8 cup frozen broccoli florets
about 8 pitted dried plums (Okay, they're really prunes, but I seem to have fallen into the marketing ploy of making them sound less prune-ish by calling them dried plums.)
½ cup chicken broth or water
4 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
1 small tomato, chopped
1 grilled chicken cutlet, cut up (or leftover meat of choice)
2 small potatoes, peeled and boiled, cooled and diced

In a large skillet, melt butter and saute chopped onion until transparent and beginning to brown. Add carrot, broccoli, dried plums and chicken broth. Sprinkle curry powder over all. Stir well to combine. Continue to cook over medium heat. If water seems to be evaporating too quickly before your broccoli softens, add a lid.

When broccoli is softened, add tomato, chicken and potatoes. Stir gently to combine. Cover and cook until heated through. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve.


It was delish.

Spicy curry regards,
Mrs.W

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs