Friday, March 9, 2007

Guilty Pleasures

After all of my recent cooking, I'm taking a bit of a break. Yesterday was a day of fast food--one of my guilty pleasures. I know it's not good for me, but what the heck! It's okay to indulge sometimes.

So my husband surprised me by bringing home some McDonald's take-out. He knows about my life-long affair with the Filet-O-Fish sandwich, beginning even before my birth! The Filet-O-Fish was the one thing my mother craved regularly while pregnant for me--and while in labor and en route to the hospital, she stopped off for one more McD's fish sammy before giving birth to me.

Clearly those were the days before they told you not to eat once in labor.

But I digress.

Imagine my surprise when, upon opening up my luscious little fast food bundles, there, looking up at me, were two sesame-seeded buns, which do NOT normally appear on the Filet-O-Fish.

Now, I'm a bit of a tattle-tale when it comes to mistakes in big fast food. More than a bit, actually. Our local McD's is TERRIBLE with service and quality control; there are consistent mistakes in the drive-thru--you have to go in if you want your stuff done right, and check it before you leave the counter. So I emailed McDonald's customer service with the picture, insisting that they re-train the entire staff of this particular store. Hopefully they'll send me some coupons or something.

*Sigh*

I guess that's what happens when your workers are too young, or too uneducated, or too underpaid to care.

And yes, I like ketchup with my fries, as evidenced by the blob in the photo. I snarfed them up first, before even taking the picture. Me likes 'em HOT.

My sister and her boyfriend are coming for dinner tonight, and I'm preparing a spiced chicken dish with roasted cauliflower and glazed sweet potatoes. Loosely inspired by caribbean flavors, the chicken is infused with allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, apple cider, curry powder and and a carefully seeded and chopped serrano chile.

I don't usually experiment on dinners with company, but this one sounded safe enough. I'll do a more thorough post on it soon.

For now, however, housework chores beckon.

Be well,

Mrs. W

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If yours is bad, try Clinton's some time. Or - then again - DON'T! *wry grin*

-John B

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs