Monday, March 12, 2007

Caribbean-Inspired Spiced Chicken Dinner

I made a delicious caribbean-inspired dinner Friday night for my sister and her boyfriend. I found the recipe on epicurious.com--one of my most favorite recipe sites--and adjusted it slightly for my tastes and availability of ingredients. It turned out beautifully!


Roasted Spiced Chicken

1 medium sweet onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1-3/4 tsp ground allspice
1 tbsp chopped peeled fresh ginger
3/4 tsp dried thyme blossom
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 serrano chile, seeded & ribs removed (well, mine really didn't have ribs)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup apple cider
one whole chicken, cut into serving pieces


Place all ingredients except chicken in food processor and puree until coarse paste forms. Add apple cider and pulse to blend. Place chicken pieces in large resealable plastic bag. Add marinade to chicken in bag and seal. Turn chicken to coat. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.

Preheat oven to 400*F. Arrange chicken pieces in an oiled oven-proof pan (I used my big skillet). Spoon marinade solids over chicken. Discard the really liquid marinade. Roast until cooked through, about 45-60 minutes.


Recipe adapted from 'Roasted Spiced Chicken with Cinnamon- and Honey-Glazed Sweet Potatoes,' Bon Appetit, May 2006, www.epicurious.com


I served the chicken with baked sweet potato chunks (tossed with olive oil, black pepper, salt, pumpkin pie spice, curry powder), roasted cauliflower and mango chutney. Yum!

I'll be enjoying leftovers for lunch today. Mmm!

Be well,

Mrs. W

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs