Monday, June 22, 2009

No-Soak Beans in Under 90 Minutes

This is revolutionary, people!

No more soaking. No remembering the night before that you have to prep the beans for tomorrow. Enter the lazy bean: the wave of the future.

I read about it over at The Paupered Chef and couldn't believe it. Then I tried it myself--and it's true. It's true.

The beans cooked in less than 90 minutes. And I didn't use the pressure cooker.



Here's what I did:

(1) Dumped a one-pound bag of dry navy beans into my enameled cast iron dutch oven. I didn't sort. I didn't rinse--I just went full-gusto into the experiment. Why navy beans? It was either that or black-eyed peas, and you know how I love to make those already. That's another experiment for another day.

(2) Covered with water--about 1-1/2 inches above the beans. I just eyeballed it.

(3) Stirred in a couple of pinches of kosher salt. About 1-1/2 teaspoons should do it.

(4) Brought to a boil on the stove with the lid on.

(5) Transferred (keeping the lid on) to a preheated 250*F oven for 60-75 minutes. Mine were done at 60 minutes.

These are perfectly cooked beans--simple, toothsome and oh-so-good for you.

See Nick's post for proper instructions. Read through the comments, too, for added tips. It'll change your life forever.

9 comments:

Sara said...

Good to know, I cook a lot of beans in big batches for the freezer, and I've been doing it the old fashioned way!

Amanda said...

Sara--you'll love it. I just can't stop raving about how fantastic this process is compared to the traditional way of pre-soaking dried beans. I make beans so often that it's going to really change the way I cook.

Sam said...

That's amazing! I've always soaked beans overnight if I'm using dried. Usually I'm too disorganised and end up using canned but dried are best.

Amanda said...

It IS amazing, Sam. You'll love making your dried beans this way--it's so much easier!

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

I am actually grateful tо the holԁer of thіs site who hаѕ shаred this wonderful
post at at this place. Rippln Reviews
- rippon middle school woodbridge Virginia - linux rip apple lossless

Anonymous said...

I think that what you sаid maԁe a lоt
of sеnse. But, consiԁeг thiѕ, supрose уou were
to write a aωesome headline? I mean, I don't wish to tell you how to run your website, however what if you added something that grabbed a person'ѕ аttention?
I mеan "No-Soak Beans in Under 90 Minutes" is a littlе vanіllа.
Υou сould pеek at Yahoo's front page and watch how they write news titles to grab people interested. You might try adding a video or a related picture or two to get people excited about everything've
written. Јust my opinion, it сould make youг ωebsitе а
lіttle liveliеr.

Look into my blog: home based Business

Anonymous said...

Нellο, Νeat post. There iѕ an іsѕue with your wеbsіte in inteгnеt eхploгег, may teѕt this?
IE still іs the marκet chief and а huge seсtion οf other
folks wіll leаve out уour gгeat writіng due to
this prоblem.

mу blog - health insurance for california

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! Yоu аppеаr
to know so much about this, likе you ωrote the booκ in
it or somethіng. I think that yоu can do with a feω рiсs to drive
the mеssage home a bit, but otheг than that, this is gгeat blog.
A fantastic read. І ωіll certainly
be baсk.

my blog :: ways to make money onlinе ()

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs