The turn of the calendar is always a perfect opportunity to review the year past. And it's only natural that, along with personal review, we look to ways to improve those things we find lacking. I prefer to avoid the term "resolution," since resolutions made on New Year's Day often go by the wayside within a few weeks. I prefer to call them goals. A goal is a target, sometimes moving, and can be a bit more forgiving.
Proper goal-setting is a tricky thing. I don't want to set myself up to fail--no, success is what I'm going for. So my goals need to be reasonable and achievable. The way I do that is not by restricting myself--mini-goals, if you will.
I could say that I want to lose 40 lbs. I do, that's true. But I don't want to create too difficult a goal that might frustrate me later on down the road. Instead, I'll focus on the food I'm eating and adding exercise to my routine. Weight loss will surely follow.
My personal goals for 2009 include:
- Back to the dietary straight-and-narrow! Renewed commitment to low-glycemic-index foods and sugar-free treats. (Yes, I gained 10 lbs over the holidays. Bad, bad Amanda!) Mini goals:
(a) use food planning spreadsheet to map out meals and snacks
(b) allow 1 cheat day per week for eating things like bread or white rice, in moderation
- Exercise. I have a machine and videos available in the house. There's no excuse. Mini goals:
(a) add exercise machine 20 minutes per day, Monday thru Friday
(b) after exercise machine work is a solid routine, add video workouts 3 times/week
- New eyeglasses. Yep. Can't overlook the squinting anymore.
- Continued focus on spiritual life.
- One proper vacation. Anywhere. Mini-goals:
(a) set aside money every pay day toward vacation fund
(b) watch newspaper ads for specials on trips
- Continuing to post 3-5 times per week.
- Adding readership shout-outs--I see you, LaFayette, IN! Thanks for coming by!
- At least 3 bloggy giveaways in 09.
- A trip to & blog post about Rochester's fabulous farmer's market.
- Resurrect A to Z of Kitchen Tips series!
There. I've done it: my goals, posted for all the world to see. It's official now.
What are your goals for 09?