Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Strawberry Crumble with Teff-Oat Crust


It's the time of year for cobblers, crisps and crumbles and other such oven-baked fruit desserts with luscious, luscious toppings. And there's really no need for those of us with sugar issues to avoid these wonderful creations.

Apples are certainly a traditional fruit for these, but I choose lower glycemic index strawberries for this crumble, and a non-wheat topping. The result: a delicious dessert that no one could tell wasn't packed with brown sugar!


Strawberry Crumble with Teff-Oat Crust
(crust may also be used as a pie crust; see note below)
serves 8-10

about 4 cups frozen strawberries, or enough to cover the bottom of a 9x13 pan
1/4 cup sugar or substitute*

2 cups whole-grain teff flour
1/2 cup oat bran cereal
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup sugar or substitute*
several scrapes nutmeg
pinch salt
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup milk

In a lightly buttered 9x13 pan, place frozen strawberries and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute.

In a separate bowl, combine teff flour, oat bran cereal, oats, sugar or substitute, nutmeg and salt. Mix to combine. Using hands, rub in softened butter. Stir in milk just until combined.

Drop teff mixture over strawberries and bake at 350*F for 30 minutes, or until topping browns lightly and strawberry liquid bubbles visibly. Cool; serve warm, at room temperature or cold, as desired.

NOTE: Teff mixture may also be used as a pie crust by pressing into a pie plate and pricking all over with a fork; bake at 350*F for 10 minutes; cool thoroughly before filling. I used this recipe for a pumpkin pie with great results, though it isn't sturdy enough for a decorative crust. That suited me fine, though--I just needed a container for my delicious pie.

*I used Whey Low Type D granular

4 comments:

Helen said...

I have teff on my list as a thing to try, but I have 8 types of flour already and a boyfriend who teases me over my overfilled cupboards.

Amanda said...

Hehe, we foodies do tend to overstock, don't we?

I only keep teff around because I love Ethiopian food and want to make injera again, the correct way this time! Otherwise I really wouldn't bother with it--there are so many other nutritious flours out there that are less expensive.

That said, I think teff is really great to have around for people who need to live gluten-free.

At any rate, it was tasty here.

Sam said...

Strawberry crumble sounds delicious, I might just about be able to get some strawberries before the seasons over. Teff flour is a new one on me!

Amanda said...

Sam, it was delicious. For me, I prefer berries due to their lower glycemic index, thus better for diabetics. I keep them in my freezer all year 'round.

Teff is becoming more widely available; I became introduced to it when I fell in love with Ethiopian food. Teff is the main ingredient in making injera, the flatbread used to eat food with (in lieu of a fork and spoon, you see).

Teff is also used as a flour alternative by people who can not eat wheat or gluten due to dietary restrictions.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs