Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Strawberry Shortcake

Summer is full of birthdays in my family--so much so that we tend to tire of cake after cake. So to celebrate with my sister-in-law this weekend, I made a strawberry shortcake instead.

I decided on a jumbo shortcake baked in a pie plate. I didn't even bother splitting it in half--it was yummy just topped with strawberries and whipped cream. Lots and lots of whipped cream.

It was so yummy we dug in before I got a photo. Here's a picture of my helping, as I massacred it on my plate.



The shortcake itself was actually a scone--the crumb was moist with a light sweetness and a hint of nutmeg. You could make this as individual shortcakes or even as scones.


Shortcakes or Scones
makes 1 large shortcake or 6-8 mini shortcakes or scones

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 cup sugar (I used Whey Low Granular Type D)
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sugar-free hazelnut flavor (or any flavor desired) non-dairy liquid creamer (you could also use milk or half-and-half, in which case you might double the sugar added to dry ingredients)
Coarse sugar, if desired

1. Whisk together dry ingredients; cut in cold butter and work in until butter are about the size of small peas. The key here is to do this as quickly as possible so the butter remains cold--a food processor is useful here, though I generally do this with two knives. You can return your mixture to the refrigerator to keep things chilled as you go.

2. Stir in wet ingredients only until the batter comes together. Do not overwork dough.

3. Spread into a buttered pie plate for one large shortcake, or drop by large spoonfuls for individual shortcakes or drop scones. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if using.

4. Bake in preheated 350*F oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until top(s) are browned and a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out almost clean. Cool thoroughly before using.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs