Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Quinoa Pudding

Even in summertime I love a warm dessert. I made this quinoa pudding because I was hankering for something sweet and yummy but wanted to use up some pantry items.

It was so good--sweet and chewy. It really would be a great morning breakfast dish in lieu of oatmeal, but I loved it as a simple dessert. I ate warm it with a little cold milk poured over. Try it!

Quinoa Pudding
serves 8

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
5 cups water
1 tablespoon oat bran
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used hazelnuts)
1/4 cup raisins
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar or substitute (I used Whey Low granular)
pinch salt
ground cinnamon (optional)

Bring 1 cup quinoa and 5 cups water to a boil in a large pot; reduce heat and simmer until translucent--about 15 minutes.

See the photo below--this is what quinoa looks like when it's ready.

Drain quinoa well and transfer to a buttered eight-inch baking dish. Stir in oat bran, nuts and raisins.

In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar and salt; whisk well and pour over quinoa mixture. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if desired.

Bake in a preheated 350*F oven until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Note: If baking at this time of year sends you running, never fear! I actually cooked this in my electric skillet (lid on tightly) set to simmer and it was done in the same time. Yay for countertop appliances! You could also do this in a slow cooker set to low, but that will take a bit longer than 40 minutes.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Hooray! I have all these ingredients in my pantry right now!

Anonymous said...

That looks just like the kind of dessert I love....and I too have everything on hand (well, minus the oat bran). I may have to try this soon!

Amanda said...

In these times, it's good to be able to make something out of pantry items, that's for sure!

Yay, Mary!

Kathy--do you have oatmeal? Whiz it in the food processor and then use it. You could try leaving it out--it was used as a binding agent. The original recipe (that I have no idea where it came from) used bread crumbs.

Chris said...

oooooooh! I am going to have to try this. Do I have Quinoa in the pantry? If not...it will be on my lost for the Farmer's market! :)

Amanda said...

I hope you'll like it, Chris. It was a nice find for me!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs