Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lasagne Soup

Summer seems to call for lighter food, doesn't it? Sometimes that means a grilled piece of protein with a salad. Other times, perhaps an omelette. Still others, a bowl of soup with some crusty bread.


If it's the latter, this recipe is for you. It's fairly quick to put together and tastes great reheated in the microwave. Personally I like to make these sorts of things early in the day before it gets really hot; Mr.W and I can then just enjoy it through the day, reheating it in the microwave.



Lasagne Soup
original recipe
here
serves 4


In a large pot, saute in olive oil:

2 medium onions, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped

When the onions are transparent, add:

3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano or basil, or a combination (if using fresh herbs, up the amount to 2 tablespoons)

Cook until frangrant, about 1 minute. Add:

4 cups chicken broth
1 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes in their juice (no sugar added)

Bring to a simmer and drop in:

1/2 pound italian sausage (I used medium) rolled into 1/2-inch meatballs

Cover and simmer for 20 minutes to cook the meatballs. Add:

1 cup dry pasta (I used campanelle, which look like pieces of broken lasagne noodles)
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves

Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or according to package directions for the pasta you use.

While soup is simmering, cut into chunks:

8 ounces fresh mozzarella

Serve soup in bowls topped with chunks of mozzarella and along with a crust of bread to soak up the broth.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man that sounds good! I'm going to visit my Mother in Texas next week. That sounds like something I can cook to beat the heat!

Amanda said...

Thanks, SG. I'm sure you could also do the whole thing in a slow cooker, too. A crock pot cooking in the basement or garage is another great way to keep from heating up the kitchen.

Katie Zeller said...

I have to admit - the name really got my attention!
What a great idea... But for me, it will have to be a winter lunch... Too hot in summer to eat hot soup (We, like most people over here, have no air-conditiong)
Duly bookmarked for the 1st of October (Official switch to 'winter cooking;)

Amanda said...

Hi, Katiez! Thank you--I'm sure you'll love this in October, or whenever you decide to try it. I actually had the original recipe bookmarked for a good year before I actually tried it, myself.

At any rate, stay cool! I imagine not much baking is going on over summer for you?

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs