Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Pumpkin Coconut Panna Cotta

Back in October I read Chez Pim's post about a pumpkin coconut panna cotta. I was so pleased by the ingredient list (all pantry items--hooray!) that I saved the recipe and placed it in my "to try" file.

I tried it today.



First, I'd like to go on record by saying that pumpkin should be left for autumn. I really didn't care for the pumpkin-y taste at this time of year. Not that there was anything wrong with it in any way--it just was a bit too heavy in flavor for June. I also felt that the coconut flavor disappeared. Perhaps next time I'll add some coconut rum for a bit more punch. Toasted flaked coconut or crushed ginger snaps would make a great topping.

The dessert was delightful, however. Not too firm--just what a panna cotta should be--and certainly a lovely alternative to the ubiquitous pumpkin pie typical at American holiday tables.

So keeping that in mind, do save this recipe in your "to try" file for this upcoming fall season.


Pumpkin Coconut Panna Cotta

Original recipe here. I've changed this slightly so you may want to view Pim's original instructions.

1 packet gelatin
1 cup water, divided
1 cup solid pack pumpkin
1-1/2 cups lite coconut milk
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used substitute)
1/2 cup white sugar (I used substitute)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
dash ground cardamom

Mix gelatin with half the water and allow to sit for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine in a saucepan the remaining water, pumpkin, coconut milk, brown and white sugars and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add cinnamon stick, nutmeg and cardamom along with gelatin mixture and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Ladle into containers or mold(s) and refrigerate several hours to set. Unmold onto a plate, or enjoy right from containers.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs