Sunday, June 22, 2008

Caribbean Pork Chops with Orange-Ginger Glaze, Black Beans and Saffron Brown Rice

I love caribbean food.

When we lived in the Florida Keys, Mr.W and I often enjoyed the local dishes. Jerk chicken, cuban roast pork and picadillo were some of my favorites; they were always accompanied by black beans and yellow rice, and usually plantains.

I've been hankering for some of that deliciousness lately, and so I made some last night and was very pleased with the result.

The pork chops were dusted with jerk seasoning and seared, then braised in a mixture of chicken broth and some lovely ginger-orange marmalade I discovered yesterday. This French import is no-sugar-added and sweetened only with fruit juice, so I wasted no time snatching this jelly from the market shelf, even at over $4 for the jar. A rare indulgence, and well worth it.

The beans simmered with ingredients right from my freezer--what a comfort food! I made the yellow rice from brown rice. You can see I garnished the rice with a chive flower. Mr.W was horrified and didn't know what it was. Sometimes it's good to keep the husband on his toes.

I wish I'd had a plantain to enjoy with this meal, but the glaze was sweet enough and a nice balance to the other flavors on the plate.


Caribbean Pork Chop with Orange-Ginger Glaze, Black Beans and Saffron Brown Rice
serves 2

Saffron Brown Rice
(this takes the longest time to prepare)

1 cup brown rice, rinsed
2 cups water
2 pinches saffron threads, crumbled
pinch kosher salt
sprinkle adobo seasoning (or granulated garlic)

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Let go for about 30-40 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.


Black Beans

1 15-ounce can black beans
1/2 can water
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (or 1 clove chopped fresh garlic) or adobo seasoning
pinch kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon chives (I used frozen)
2 teaspoons tomato paste (I used frozen)
1 tablespoon cilantro (again, frozen)
about 1/3 cup chunked frozen yucca (I buy this in a Goya bag) or peeled white potato

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan; simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until yucca or potato are tender (about 15-20 minutes).


Caribbean Pork Chops with Orange-Ginger Glaze

2 boneless pork chops
caribbean jerk powdered seasoning blend
1 cup chicken stock or broth
2 tablespoons no sugar added, fruit juice sweetened ginger-orange marmalade (or just use orange marmalade with a few slices of ginger added)

Sprinkle pork chops generously with caribbean jerk seasoning on both sides; allow to sit for 5 minutes while you heat up a saucepan over a medium flame.

Brown both sides of pork chops, turning only once. You want a nice crust on both sides. Add chicken stock and marmalade. Cover pan loosely with foil and allow to simmer for 10 minutes to finish cooking chops.

Remove pork chops from liquid and set aside. Reduce pan juices to a thick glaze. Serve chops drizzled with glaze.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Yum! This looks delicious!

Amanda said...

It was super yummy. I wish I had made more! But if I'd made more, I just would have eaten more last night... I have to force myself to only make the right portions. Yeah, I'm an eater.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs