Friday, April 11, 2008

White Chocolate Ricotta Cream Berry Parfaits

I love ricotta.

Growing up in an Italian-American town, ricotta was part of my culture. In pasta dishes and desserts alike.

Especially cannoli. Oh, how I love a good cannoli (actually, the singular should be cannolo, but I digress).

I remember some years ago, when I lived in a city where good italian foods could not be found, my sister-in-law purchased one dozen fresh cannoli from a good bakery in our hometown. She brought them home, carefully wrapped them individually and froze them for their flight to visit me. They arrived safely, still frozen.

What a delight! A taste of home, right in your freezer. I was a real hog with them, too. I wouldn't share--no way! They were protected, tucked away, only to emerge one at a time for a special snack all for me.

Heaven.

Now that I need to live a sugar-free lifestyle, store-bought cannoli are out of the question. And I still haven't learned how to make them myself. When I try, I just can't manage that smooth, creamy consistency.

Meanwhile, I make ricotta cream. Different, but equally delicious.



This dessert was made sugar-free, but it can be made sugar-full with great results.


White Chocolate Ricotta Cream Berry Parfaits
adapted from this recipe
serves 4

1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese (I used low fat)
2 tablespoons sugar or sugar replacer of choice
3 tablespoons torani sugar-free white chocolate sauce
2 cups mixed frozen berries (I used blueberries, raspberries and blackberries), no sugar added, thawed

In a bowl, combine ricotta, sugar and white chocolate sauce. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.

Layer ricotta cream with berries in pretty glasses. Serve drizzled with extra sauce, if desired.

10 comments:

Pixie said...

Hey, Mrs W, I actually made home made cannolis a few weeks back. Oh, they were just so GOOD! I could have them every week but there are too many other desserts to try out. lol

(like my current tart in the oven)

Gloria Baker said...

Amanda, This looks yummy,yummy!!!! is beauty, Have a nice weekend.xxGloria

Mary said...

If only my husband weren't lactose intolerant. They look fabulous!

Amanda said...

Pixie--oh, yum, yum, yum! I'm heading over to your blog to find your cannoli recipe!

Gloria--you are so sweet, as always. It was quite delicious! (Though I'll admit--the original ricotta cream recipe said it served 12! And it only served 4 at my house... hmm...)

Mary--I bet you could sweeten up some blended tofu for a nice, creamy dessert. Or what about yogurt (I hear some dairy-allergy folks can still have yogurt... somehow it's different... maybe the same with L.I.?)

Elle said...

What a great ricotta mixture...love ricotta even though I'm Irish...and it would be great on the fresh strawberries that are coming into the market now. Yum! Didn't know that ther was a white chocolate sugar-free sauce...must find.

Amanda said...

Hi, Elle--I can totally taste this with fresh strawberries, yummy! Berries really are my favorite. Our fruit isn't in season yet around here, so I'm still stuck with the frozen or imported varieties for now.

And I'll be honest--I didn't know about this sauce until I discovered it recently.

Anonymous said...

Amanda that looks fantastic..what a great combo!

Amanda said...

Thanks, Marye.

Robin said...

I'll have to try this. I feel the same way you do about cannoli, but sadly a true cannoli can't be found withing thousands of miles of here, and now that my parents have moved out of the NYC area even visits "home" (bah!) will be sadly bereft.

Amanda said...

Robin, I feel for you. I know what that's like!

This ricotta cream isn't the same as cannoli cream, but it's tasty anyway. I bet it would be extra-yummy with some mini chocolate chips and amaretti cookies crushed on top.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs