Monday, March 3, 2008

Cube Steak and Gravy

I've mentioned often enough that Mr.W is a picky, picky eater. But the things he likes, he'll eat time and time again.

Cube steak and gravy is one of those meals.

When we got married and Mr.W was still in the Navy, we ate this meal every Friday night. Partially because we couldn't afford to go out... but mostly because it's delicious! Back then, we ate it with steamed white rice. Nowadays, however, we use brown rice.



Cube Steak and Gravy
serves 2

canola spray
2 to 4 cube steaks
salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 to 3 cups milk
1 cup long-grain rice, cooked according to package directions

Spray a large saucepan with canola spray and heat over a medium flame. Season steaks with salt and pepper to taste and fry for about 5 minutes per side for well done. Remove from saucepan and wrap in aluminum foil; keep warm in a 200*F oven.

Melt butter in saucepan and whisk in flour; add about 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk a little at a time, whisking in after each addition. As the milk heats up, the flour-butter mixture will combine with the milk and thicken the whole mess. If gravy gets too thick, whisk in more milk. Try not to let the milk to come to a boil.

Gravy is the correct thickness when you can draw your finger across the back of a spoon (or silicon spatula) and isn't immediately filled back in with remaining gravy.

Serve hot steaks with cooked rice; dress with gravy, as desired.


You can see from my photos that my gravy got WAY too thick; then I added too much milk at once, and ended with lumpy gravy. But after slow heating and constant stirring, it finally thinned out without too many remaining lumps. Yes, even after making this for 9 years, I sometimes still get lumpy gravy. But that's okay--it tastes good anyway.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should have learned by now to prepare myself for clicking on your blog. My stomach is growling, and all that I have at my desk is a couple of almonds.

GR has this crazy fascination with trying to make gravy. It NEVER turns out right...always ends up tasting like flour. I'm printing this for him, and will hopefully post his results when he has a chance to do this.

GR makes the most awesome salmon patties (I know, people call them croquets, but we're all fancy and call them patties). I'm thinking that he can try making the gravy with the drippings from the fried salmon.

Amanda said...

Oooh salmon gravy--heck yeah!

The key to gravy NOT tasting like flour is: (a) fry the flour-butter paste a few minutes; and (b) seasoning--make sure you've salted & peppered enough.

We like making this gravy even when frying a hamburger steak. Of course I can't eat this because it has regular flour, but I make different stuff for myself anyway.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs