Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Flax Muffins

Mr.W and I share one vehicle. But because I don't work outside of the home, it's not a problem for us, most of the time.


Except when I'm having a sweet tooth attack. I remember last winter I ate a whole bag of marshmallows out of my pantry. Yeah.


So if I'm going to be good, and eat the way I should, I have to keep safe snacks around the house. Like string cheese, thin-sliced pepperoni, frozen berries, sugar-free whipped cream (or at least heavy cream to make my own), sour cream, sugar-free pudding mixes, sugar-free soy milk in various flavors, and these muffins.


Flaxmeal is extremely good for you, chock full of omega-3 fatty acids. And these muffins are a perfect way to get that sweet fix without cheating.


A few things I feel I must mention about these muffins:

  • I have never made these with real sugar or all-purpose flour; I have only made these as low-carb muffins.
  • Using stevia, as I do, they are only very lightly sweetened.
  • These actually taste BETTER after they've been frozen, IMHO.
  • Because these muffins are very high in fiber they may cause a... well... a laxative effect if you eat too many.
  • I often use these as a meal replacer--one with a cup of yogurt does the trick.
This recipe is not originally mine; it is an adaptation of this one.




Spiced Sour Cream and Flaxseed Muffins
makes 1 dozen muffins


Beat together in a small bowl:


3 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream


Add:


1/2 cup sugar (or equivalent sweetness using artificial sweetner; I use 1/2 tsp stevia powder) 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 pinches ground cardamom


Once this is all mixed together, add in a slow stream while stirring:


6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, cooled


In another bowl, combine:


1 cup flax meal
1/4 cup flour (I use soy flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oat bran (optional)


Add wet mixture to dry and mix well. Add:


1-1/2 ounces sliced almonds or nut of choice (optional)


Stir to combine. (Variation: you could omit nuts altogether, or sprinkle them on top of the muffins before baking.)


Pour muffin mixture into greased muffin pan and bake in a preheated 350*F oven for 15-20 minutes or until puffed and a cake tester comes out clean.


This is a very versatile recipe that can be adapted according to your tastes and dietary needs; this recipe is also excellent with added cocoa (actually in the photo I had added 1/4 cup cocoa to the recipe), can be adjusted with other ingredients and flavoring extracts, or even made with savory seasonings + less sweetener as a bread replacement (one Thanksgiving I made these with garlic & onion powder and toasted to use in my stuffing). Try different flavorings and nuts as desired. These freeze extremely well.




I topped my muffins with a sweetened sour cream, dusted with a little freshly ground nutmeg. Perfect for a sweet treat or a quick bite on-the-go!




Mrs.W

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs