Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Rain, Soup, Bread Pudding and a New Year


Well.

It is a dreary, dreary day here in Central New York. It has been alternating rain and drizzle all day. The temperature has dropped significantly--it's become sweater weather overnight.




What can I do but make soup?

Well, bake a bread pudding, of course.

Yes, I have two projects going today at the same time. The base of my soup is a lamb-chicken broth going in the crock pot, with a piece of celery and a bay leaf, and of course the requisite salt and pepper. Once I have a rich broth, I'll go from there. My soups are a lengthy process--usually a 2-day crock pot affair. However those very soups are rich and full of flavor. Why hurry?

The bread pudding is a quickie, though. Made from cubed tea breads leftover from the bridal shower Saturday made for a perfect base, and allowed me to use a lot less sugar than a pudding made from french or regular white bread. It smells divine. I'll be sending it to the office with Mr.W tomorrow.


Here is the pudding recipe. I'll post the completed soup recipe tomorrow.


Tea Bread Pudding

1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

5 cups leftover tea bread, cut into cubes
few scrapes nutmeg

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened (I used salted butter)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped nuts or raisins (optional--I did not use)

1. Combine first four ingredients in a bowl and mix together.

2. Grease a 9x13x2-inch pan and place bread inside. Pour egg-milk mixture over. Stir gently to combine. Scrape a little nutmeg over the top. (I did not use much here because there are spices in the tea breads--I used a combination of banana-sour cream tea bread and zucchini-spice tea bread.)

3. Combine brown sugar and butter in a small bowl. Work in flour. Stir in nuts or raisins, if using. Dollop over bread.

4. Bake pudding in a preheated 350*F oven for 45 minutes or until browned on top. There should be no liquid remaining in the bottom of the pan.



As many of you may know, tonight begins Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year. May blessings be poured upon you this new year! It is a new beginning.

Peace,
Mrs.W

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Just a quick note: tea breads are also known as quick breads. Any quickbread will work for this bread pudding recipe. But if you only have regular sandwich bread, double the sugar in the egg mixture, and add spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg.

Elle said...

Bread pudding is one of my favorite things to make and to eat. I'll have to make this one!
Blessings for the New Year and may your year be one of harmony and happiness.

Amanda said...

Evidently the folks at Mr.W's office snarfed the pudding down in record time. I was delivered a thoroughly empty baking pan--so I think that means they liked it! It was a really good way to use up leftovers.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs