Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Candied Chicken

Have you ever seen a more glorious bird from your very own oven?

And it's so simple, using regular pantry ingredients. I've used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, whole chickens, bone-in assorted pieces of chicken and turkey. Simply adjust amounts and timing appropriate for your cut--use that thermometer! And it's versatile--add herbs as desired or vary the type of vinegar used. I've even added tarragon, substituted mustard for the ketchup and substituted tarragon vinegar for a delicious alternative. You're limited only by your imagination.
The recipe I've provided below serves 2.


Candied Half Chicken

1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey, or a combination)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
half chicken
olive oil
salt and pepper

Combine the first three ingredients in a glass measure and stir to combine.

Rinse and pat dry chicken. Oil your baking dish well with olive oil. Place chicken in pan and drizzle olive oil over, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour maple syrup mixture over chicken; cover with foil and bake at 350*F for 1 hour or until chicken begins to pull away from the bone. Remove foil, baste, and return chicken to oven for a nice color--about 15 minutes more.


I've made this many times--succulent, not too sweet, crispy skin... not to mention with items you usually have around the house. I must recommend pairing this delectable bird with a melange of roasted veg--sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, oh my! However with my current bounty of garden and farmer's market produce, I enjoyed my chicken with one of my favorites--roasted cauliflower along with a surprisingly luscious slice of yellow-flesh watermelon.
Bon apetit!

Mrs.W

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs